Search & Win

Saturday, March 5, 2011

My Job Has Taken Over My Life!



You know your job is taking over your life when you find yourself thinking about it hours after you get off the clock!  Tim and I were sitting in church this week and I found my eyes wandering up to the balcony.  A trashcan caught my eye.  How long had that been up there?  I had never noticed it before.  It was so pretty and shiny.  Is it stainless steel or an imitation metal?  Was it empty or full?  Do the janitors polish is daily to keep it sparkling?  We have trashcans just like that in the gym... Do the church and school purchase them from the same company?  

I snapped out of my daze -- what was I doing?!  You know how long normal people stop and contemplate a trashcan?  They don't!  The average human doesn't even notice a trashcan until it's time to put something in it!  The thought process goes something like this: "I need to throw out this gum wrapper... Oh look, a trashcan! (throws away the wrapper)  Alright, time to get on with life!"  

You see, my job revolves around trash.  Housekeeping does things to you after a while, and I'm not talking about the cleaning chemicals I breathe in all day!  I faced reality this week when I got excited over lots of shredded paper in one of the trashcans in the Music Department.  I exclaimed, "Ooooh, classified information!"  One of the staff members pointed out bluntly, "You seriously need to get a life if you're reading trash."  I replied, "But you don't understand -- this is my life!"  Then I thought about it and it hit me: It really is my life!  How sad is that?!  It's one thing to joke about your job, but if your jokes are actually true, then it starts to get kind of disturbing!

I even made up a song about it!  It's to the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb."  Enjoy!

"Suzette Had a Bag of Trash"

Suzette had a bag of trash
Bag of trash 
Bag of trash
Suzette had a bag of trash
And took it to the dump.

And everywhere that Suzette went
Suzette went
Suzette went
And everywhere that Suzette went
Trash duty haunted her soul!

It follows her to school each day
School each day
School each day
It follows her to school each day
And even chapel, too.

And so Suzette has lost her mind
Lost her mind
Lost her mind
And so Suzette has lost her mind
It's taken over her life!

1 comment: